D-na Profesor Mutlu Özcan, o personalitate de renume mondial în domeniul stomatologiei, a primit, din partea Universității de Medicină și Farmacie „Grigore T. Popa” Iași, titlul de Doctor Honoris Causa, ca semn al recunoașterii meritelor deosebite în activitatea științifică și academică.
Ceremonia de decernare a titlului a avut loc marți, 19 iunie 2018, la ora 17.00, în Sala Senat a Universității de Medicină și Farmacie „Grigore T. Popa” Iași.
D-na Profesor Mutlu Özcan, de la la Universitatea din Zurich, Departamentul de Medicină orală, Protetică dentară fixă și amovibilă și Materiale dentare, a deținut, de-a lungul timpului, numeroase funcții de conducere: decan, director, șef de department la universități internaționale de prestigiu, precum University of Washington, Seattle, USA (2005), College of Dental Medicine Arizona, USA (2012), Faculty of Dentistry, Hong Kong, China (2014).
De asemenea, s-a remarcat printr-o activitate constantă ca „visiting professor” la 11 universități din Europa, America de Nord și de Sud, Africa și Asia, este membră în 29 de societăti profesionale și a primit pe parcursul activității 25 premii și distincții.
Laudatio a fost prezentat de către prof. univ. dr. Norina Forna, decanul Facultății de Medicină Dentară din cadrul Universității de Medicină și Farmacie „Grigore T. Popa” Iași:
Dear Members of the Senate,
Today I introduce Professor Mutlu Özcan with the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, thus recognizing her contribution in Dental Medicine domain.
She meets the criteria to be awarded the title of Doctor Honoris Causa introduced by the Senate of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy „Grigore T. Popa”, Iasi:
- She is the winner of internationally renowned awards;
- She is member of international and prestigious academies;
- She has important contribution in the scientific field;
- She is a public personality, with international recognition.
- For the first criterion, she is winner of more than 25 internationally renowned awards, such as:
- “Best Speaker at High Scientific Level Award” at the 4th International Congress of the Balkan Stomatological Society BaSS), March, 22nd-25th, 1999, İstanbul, Turkey and April 13-16th 2000, Thessaloniki, Greece;
- Dentsply Shield Award, European Prosthodontic Association (EPA), 24th Annual Congress, August, 24-26th, 2000, Groningen, The Netherlands;
- Boerings Prize at the Annual Research Day, Groningen, 2005;
Quintessence Best Poster Prize at the European Prosthodontic Association (EPA), 30th Annual Congress, September, 12th, 2006, London, United Kingdom;
- IADR Travel Stipend Award, July, 14-17th, 2010, Barcelona, Spain;
- Awarded for Visiting Scientist Programme (TUBITAK) (2013);
- “Best Clinical Study” by the Association of Dutch Society of Restorative Dentistry (NVVT), June, 10th, 2013, The Netherlands;
- Junior Robert Frank Award finalist at the 47th International Association for Dental Research Continental European Division (IADR/CED), October, 15-17th, 2015, Antalya, Turkey;
- Best Scientist of the Year Award, Swiss-Turkish Association of Medicine, March, 14th, 2017, Bern, Switzerland;
- Tylman Research Award, American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics, June, 17th, June 2017, Columbus, USA; 2
- Best Scientific Mentor Group supervisor of the Education Years 2003, 2004, 2007 (University of Groningen).
- For the second criterion, she is member of international and prestigious academies and member in more than 30 Professional Societies and Panels, such as:
- Academy of Dental Materials–ADM;
- Academy of Implantology –AIM;
- International Association for Dental Research –IADR;
- European Prosthodontic Association –EPA;
- Digital Dentistry Education and Research Group –DEDRG;
- International College of Dentists-ICD;
- International Academy for Adhesive Dentistry –IAAD;
- Fédération Dentaire Internationale–FDI;
- International Academy of Ceramic Implantology – IAOC;
- She has important contribution in the scientific field – is another criterion fulfilled by professor Mutlu:
She has distinguished herself in various areas of Dental Medicine such as: Translational research on dental biomaterials, Reconstructive dentistry, Implantology, Prosthodontics.
Visiting Professor in 11 renowned Universities and Dental Schools from the entire world, such as:
- Hong Kong Dental School, China;
- University of Siena, Italy;
- University of Brno, Czech Republic;
- Complutense University of Madrid, Spain;
- Center for Dental Biomaterials, University of Florida, USA;
- Istanbul Medipol University, Turkey;
- Dental College Hail University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia;
- Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte Natal, Brazil;
- Necmettin Erbakan University, Konya, Turkey;
- São Paolo State University Brazil;
- Federal University of Juiz de Fora, Brazil.
She is a member of the editorial board of more than 100 journals, of which 17 are impact factor journals such as: Journal of Adhesive Dentistry, The Angle Orthodontist, Journal of Applied Oral Science, Operative Dentistry, Journal of Prosthodontics, International Endodontic Journal, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Journal of Dentistry, Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Dental Materials, Journal of Prosthodontic Research, European Journal of Prosthetic and Restorative Dentistry.
An outstanding number of 28 peer reviewed international grants, and 25 non peer reviewed grants are an important highlight of the research activity in the Reconstructive Dentistry (Tooth-, Implant-, Mucosa-borne) domain and also on Translational Research on Dental Biomaterials.
She was supervisor and co-supervisor for more than 20 Thesis, and member of the steering group and supervisor for more than 30 PhD Thesis, and more than 60 Master Thesis.
In terms of visibility of the publications, she has:
Sum of Impact Factor (IF) (After ISI Journal Citation Report 2016): 722.846
Sum of IF (First Author):170.486
Sum of IF (Last Author):233.08
Sum of IF (Co-author):319.28
h-index (Web of Science): 40
h-index (Google Scholar): 55
i-10-index (Google Scholar):223
Sum of the Times Cited (Web of Science): 5478
Sum of Times Cited without Self-citation:4678
Citing Articles: 3234
Citing Articles without Self-citations: 2918
Sum of the Times Cited (Google Scholar): 11095
She is the author of 376 published articles in major Specific field journals and she published, both as author and editor, sixteen books with outstanding scientific impact in Elsevier, Quintessence, Springer and other renowned editures.
- The last criterion is about public personality, with international recognition
She had outstanding position offers during the years being courted by prestigious universities in the world:
- Head of Department of Dental Materials, University of Washington, Seattle, USA, in 2005;
- Director position at the Dental Biomaterials Department, Midwestern University, College of Dental Medicine Arizona, USA in 2012;
- Chairman position at the Department of Prosthodontics, University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Dentistry, Hong Kong, China in 2014;
- Founding Dean and Chairman position at the Department of Prosthodontics, University of Acibadem, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul, Turkey in 2015;
- Chairman position at the Department of Clinical and Translational Research in Dentistry, University of Otago, New Zealand.
Professor Mutlu Özcan is a valuable member of international teams on scientific research collaborations in Universities and research institutes from all over the world:
- University of Turku, Department of Prosthetic Dentistry and Biomaterials, Turku, Finland. (Prof. Dr. Pekka K. Vallittu);
- São Paulo State University, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthetic Dentistry, São José dos Campos, Brazil. (Prof. Dr. Marco Bottino);
- University of Santa Maria, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthetic Dentistry, Santa Maria, Brazil. (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Luiz Felipe Valandro);
- Federal University of Paraiba, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthetic Dentistry, Natal, Brazil. (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Rodrigo Souza);
- Ege University, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthetic Dentistry, Izmir, Turkey. (Prof. Dr. Mine Dundar);
- University of Brno, Technical University, Department of Polymer Chemistry, Brno, Czech Republic. (Prof. ir. Dr. Joseph Jancar, Dr. ir. Sedivy Zbynek);
- University of Groningen, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Groningen, The Netherlands. (Prof. ir. Dr. Henk Busscher, Prof. ir. Dr. Henny van der Mei);
- University of Amsterdam, Department of Dental Materials, Amsterdam,The Netherlands. (Prof. Dr. Albert Feilzer);
- University of Pennsylvania, Department of Preventive and Restorative Sciences, School of Dental Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA. (Prof. Dr. Fusun Ozer);
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich), Particle Technology Laboratory, Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering, Zürich, Switzerland. (Prof. Sotiris E. Pratsinis);
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich), Department of Complex Materials, Zürich, Switzerland. (Prof. André R. Studart);
- University of Minnesota, Department of Biomaterials and Biomechanics, School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, USA. (Prof. Dr. Alex Fok);
- University of Madrid, Faculty of Odontology, Madrid, Spain. (Prof. Dr. Guillermo Ramiro Pradíes, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Francisco Martínez Rus);
- University of Bologna, Alma Mater Studiorum, Bologna, Italy. (Assist. Prof. Dr. Carlo Monaco, Prof. Roberto Scotti);
- University of Milano, Isituto Stomatologico Italiano, Milano, Italy. (Prof. Dr. Dino Re, Prof. Dr. Antonio Cerutti);
- University of Florida, School of Dentistry, Center of Biomaterials, Gainsville, USA. (Prof. Dr. Kenneth Anusavice, Prof. Dr. Jean-Francois Roulet);
- New York University College of Dentistry, Department of Biomaterials and Biomimetics, New York USA. (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yu Zhang);
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthetic Dentistry, Santa Catarina, Brazil. (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Claudia Volpato);
- Technicon, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Haifa, Israel (Prof. Daniel Rittel);
- The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Department of Restorative Science and Prosthodontics, Columbus, Ohio, USA. (Assoc Prof. Burak Yilmaz);
- University of Minho, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Guimares, Portugal. (Prof. Filipe Samuel Silva);
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), School of Engineering, Lausanne, Switzerland. (Dr. Andreas Schmocker).
The collaboration between the University of Medicine and Pharmacy „Grigore T. Popa” from Iași and Professor Mutlu began in 1993 in the European Prosthodontic Association, both being members of this prestigious association and intensified in collaboration from 2013 as Prof Mutlu was appointed Honorary Secretary, and Prof Forna Norina council member. In 2017 she visited twice our faculty and she lectured for the students and the residents in the field of Implantology and Prosthodontic Dentistry.
From this moment on, mutual collaboration on scientific and administrative area were implemented, an example being the EPA Congress in 2017, organized in Bucharest, Romania.
This brief overview of the areas of interest of a prodigious socio-professional activity entitles us to present you with the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, appreciating not only the results in your profession, but also your outstanding qualities as a human being.
Please allow us to consider you a friend of the Iasi dental medical school and to hope that you will be pleased to return in our city.